How to Buy a Designer Bag vs Buying a House
1. Ensure the foundation is solid – When determining the shape of your bag, you need to assess if it can hold all of your personal items, WITHOUT losing shape. If you know you carry your iPad around with you, bring it along for the ride when going to make the purchase. However, if you typically never carry a wallet and rely on simply your keys, phone and lipstick, you can opt for a smaller size.
2. Consider the material – Brick houses are the standard some may say. Leather is that standard material that constantly stands the test of time. It’s easy to clean and maintain and lasts.
3. Inspect the inside – You wouldn’t close your house without an inspection of all of the nooks and crannies. Same goes for purses: inspect the stitching, hardware, fasteners etc. Stitching is important because one small loose end can ruin the look of the purse.
4. Style – Are your tastes modern? Or, do you prefer a classic look? Consider this when purchasing your new purse. The trends and colors of the season come and go but if you’re investing, you may want something that will not go in and out with the weather.
5. Price – Since retailers such as Holt Renfrew and Bloomingdales would frown at the bargaining/bidding model of the housing market. At ClosetCaviar, we have our own verison of a “ClosetCalculator”. Just divide the price of the item by the amount of years you’ll commit to wearing it. So, a $500 purse over 5 years will cost you $100 a year. Be sure you stick to this mantra or else you won’t get the value of what you originally intended.
Low: Price Range $0 – $250 – The low end pricing when it comes to purses, lends itself nicely to smaller cross bodies and small evening side bags. Michael Kors and Tory Burch do a great smaller size. Also, dont’ forget about Rebecca Minkoff and her “Mini Mac” collection that comes in a high range of colours.
Mid: Price Range $200 – $550 – The mid end pricing for purses of this range can be considered as your everyday carry-all. Hobos and satchels will be your best bet here. Plus, structured bags can really make a statement without being too big. Kate Spade, Cole Haan and Henri Bendel makes some perfect mid-sized purses for this exact price range.
High: Price Range $499+ – High end bags are known by coveted brands such as: Balenciaga (The Motorcycle Bag!), Celine, Prada, Reed Krakoff (MY FAVE), Prada, Proenza Schouler and of course, Louis Vuitton. These bags are your statement pieces and will be the “wow” piece in your outfit. Comparable to a piece of artwork that hangs behind the spiral staircase in your newly furnished mansion. These purses although expensive, are classic shapes that round out your closet. Collect accordingly, because these beauties will set you back in your budget quite a bit. Read more…